Thursday, July 2, 2009

Never Leave Home without 'em


It was always my preference that my son never got attached to the pacifier. 
I even included the request for NO PACIFIER in my birth plan. 
I may as well have written that in japanese, because as soon as I came out of recovery (from my c-section), there was my big blue-eyed boy sucking on a green pacifier almost as big as his entire face. From that day on , he needed it day and night. 
It wasn't until this past January when Bubs bit a hole in his "need it" (as he affectionately called it) , that we decided to throw alllllllll (gazillion) of his need its away and tell him that they were all broken and gone. Within a week he stopped whining in the middle of the night for them.

But I must admit, I think its super cute when kids have something they're attached to that they use either at bed time, or simply as a tag a long friend to bring comfort. As a baby, (other than the pacifier) my son didnt really get attached to any toys or stuffed animals. But now; he goes nowhere without these 2 things.

(Ignore the pink sheets. We're at my parents for the week and 80% of the linen my mother buys is pink or flowered.) 

Meet George and luvey. 

George is a monkey that we bought a few weeks ago to help Bubs get used to the idea of having someone to take care of. Since his sister will be making an arrival sometime in the next 6 weeks, we thought Bubs needed to get in the habit of being gentle, showing a good example, and always having a "sidekick" tagging along. For the most part its been very effective; except for the times when forgets George is in his possession and literally DRAGS him down the slide or insists on taking him in the sandbox with him. : )

And the luvey? The blanket with the cutesy tags around the edges? My sweet friend made that for Bubs, and he LOVES it. Back in the winter, he started waking up around 3 am every single night saying he was scared and not going back to sleep unless he was in our bed. My friend made him this blanket, and my husband and I hugged the blanket to our chests every night, and told Bubs it was full of our love. Now he sleeps all through the night as long as he has his luvey.

Naturally there will come a time when George and luvey will be too tattered to go anywhere, but for now it not only adds comfort to my son knowing he has them; it does my heart good as well. 




No comments:

Post a Comment